You might have heard that roofs in Florida don’t last long due to extreme weather conditions, and that is true. So, you are left with the only option of regular maintenance or re-roofing, which can be pretty heavy on your pocket.
Similarly, what is the benefit of spending money when you remain in a hassle, right? That is why we came up with the right solution for you. In this post, you will look at the five different types of roofing systems in Florida.
You can learn about them and choose the best one for yourself and enjoy a peaceful life without worrying about the extreme weather changes of Florida.
What are roofing systems?
In case you are thinking if there is any difference between a typical roof and a roofing system, then yes, there is.
A roofing system means any insulation that acts as a barrier to air and moisture, including the roof membrane and accessories.
What kind of weather conditions are in Florida?
If you are still muddled about whether to opt for typical roofs or roofing systems in Florida, you must first learn about the weather conditions.
Florida is not only about the scorching heat and the hurricanes. The list of severe weather conditions is quite long, including high humidity levels, rainstorms, and heavy lightning, which a typical roof can not withstand for sure. So, don’t put your comfort at risk by choosing standard roofs.
What are the different types of roofing systems in Florida?
Now, let’s discuss different types of roofing systems in Florida. Their features, pros, and cons so that you can easily choose the one that suits you best.
Asphalt shingle roofs
Firstly, we have the asphalt shingle roofs. If you want a cost-effective roofing system, then this can be the one for you. Not only is it one of the most affordable roofing systems, but it is easy to install and replace as well.
Contrastingly, there are a few drawbacks as well. Aesthetically, it is not something unique or attractive. It is vulnerable to leakage and damage. So, if you want a beautiful roofing system for your residence, this might not be the one. Also, this roofing system can get damaged if installed in freezing temperatures. They won’t last long as they are cheaper, but if a good quality asphalt shingle roof is installed, it can easily last for 15 to 25 years.
● It is a budget-friendly roofing system.
● It comes in a wide variety of styles which makes it suitable for almost every home structure.
● The installation process of this roofing system is easy and quick. No special instruments or techniques are required to install it.
● Along with installation, their replacement is also an easy process. So, if your asphalt shingles get damaged, there is no need to worry.
● This roofing system will not last long as it is prone to damages and is cheap.
● You cannot install shingles in winter because, most likely, they will get damaged if installed in freezing temperatures.
● As shingles are lightweight, they can get cracked when weather conditions are intense.
Next, we have the tile roofs. Clay tile roofs are sturdy and durable. Hence, they can withstand the extreme weather changes of Florida without getting damaged. If you are one of those who are conscious about the appearance of your house, then tile roofs can enhance the look of your home as they come in various colors and styles.
However, it is an expensive roofing system because you’ll get premium quality, sturdiness, style, and elegance altogether. You will have to consider the structure of your house, as these tiles do not fit every design due to their heavy weight.
● Tile roofs can decrease your energy cost as they act as a barrier to sun rays which means you can reduce the usage of air conditioners in your home.
● They can be recycled, which makes them environmentally safe.
● Their durability and sturdiness will save you from the hustle of frequent maintenance.
● No matter how much intense the weather gets, your house is safe and sound with tile roofs.
● Their heavyweight can be a problem as it might not suit your house structure if it is not strong enough to bear its weight.
● If you are looking for a cheaper option, this might not be the one because it is many times expensive than other roofing systems.
Metal roofs can be your go-to roofing system if you are fed up with the scorching heat of Florida. Metal roofs reflect the sun rays instead of absorbing them, which helps get rid of that extra heat and regulate the temperature.
Not only metal roofs can withstand Florida’s burning temperature but extreme wind and rain pressure as well, and you know what the best part is? Metal roofs can last for as long as fifty years. Isn’t it amazing?
They come in different designs and are lightweight, making them suitable for every type of house structure, especially for those that can’t bear much weight.
However, there are some drawbacks as well. It is a pricey roofing system, so it might not suit if you want something budget-friendly. Also, it can not insulate noise like other roofing systems, which might bother your comfort, especially if you are a quiet person.
● No corrosion or cracking occurs in metal roofing, even if subjected to intense lightning strikes.
● You can reduce cooling costs with metal roofing because they reflect sun rays instead of absorbing them.
● Proper installation and maintenance of metal roofs will make them last for more than fifty years.
● Metal roofs tend to be very noisy during heavy rain and hail storms which means your comfort might get compromised.
● Hail storms can also cause dents in metal roofs which will not only be aesthetically unpleasant but will affect their quality as well.
2 PLY modified flat roofs vs. TPO flat roofs
Last but not least we have flat roofs. They come in two categories, 2 PLY flat roofs and TPO flat roofs. Both are UV resistant and cheap. Both are recyclable, which makes them environmentally friendly, and the installation process is relatively easy.
The main difference between them is their maintenance. TPO flat roofs are easy to maintain as they have a smooth surface, but the granular texture of 2 PLY flat roofs makes it challenging to detect any leakage issues. So, 2 PLY flat roofs can cost you more money in the long run than the TPO flat roofs. Also, the TPO flat roofs are durable for 25 to 30 years, while the 2 PLY modified flat roofs are durable only for 20 years.
The major drawback of 2 PLY modified flat roofs is the chance of fire hazard as an open flame torch is used during its installation. So, TPO flat roofs are a better option in various aspects.
Glad to know that you have made it to the end. After going through the benefits and drawbacks of each roofing system, we hope that it has become easy for you to opt for the one that fulfills your requirements.
The intense weather changes of Florida can’t be neglected when selecting a roofing system. Otherwise, it may destroy your comfort and make things worse. Also, as you know now, there are many options out there in roofing systems, so finding the best one will be a piece of cake for you.